O to grace how great a debtor, daily I'm constrained to be;
let that grace now, like a fetter, bind my wand'ring heart to thee.
Prone to wander -- Lord I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love:
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.
Robert Robinson, 1758

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Maggie's Birthday and Goodbyes

I love October birthdays! Since both our girls have been born in this month, and we have been blessed in celebrating numerous birthdays for them, it has become my favorite time of year. Poor Will has a birthday in late July which is usually miserably hot -- except for last year when we planned a swim party and the weather turned cool and rainy!
This year Maggie wanted to have a few close friends over for a spend-the-night party with a "hotel" theme. Our house was semi-transformed into The Porter Inn. We had a sign on the front door, a concierge desk for the guests to sign in and receive their room keys, and each "guest room" door was labeled. Prior to dinner, the girls had spa time, which consisted of playing in the big bathtub filled with bubbles, then painting their toenails all different colors. For our dinner, the girls were given menus and seated with place cards at our dressed-up table. Maggie had requested fruit kabobs, lasagna, French bread, sparkling pink lemonade, and chocolate cheesecake with cherries. After dinner, it was time for presents, popcorn, and movies. Only two of the girls ended up spending the night, but they all had a blast while they were here. The next morning we had a bagel breakfast, then our friend and former neighbor Cheryl came over and took the girls for rides in her convertible Mustang! Oh, and I forgot to mention that Will and Ryan were in San Francisco over the weekend of the party.







On Maggie's actual birthday, we first had to do school since we had taken our fall break the weekend before. The day was gorgeous, so the kids had lots of breaks and would play together in the backyard. After school, I surprised them by taking them to Muddy's Bakery for cupcakes. Maggie is very picky about icing. She doesn't really care for traditional butter cream or vanilla icing, but she loves cream cheese icing on red velvet cake. Muddy's makes red velvet cupcakes daily. From Muddy's, it was time for piano lessons, then church.














While I was at church waiting for the piano lessons to finish, my daddy called with the news that my uncle "Unc" -- Jim Hutton -- had died. The news was such a shock to all of us! It still is in so many ways. It is hard to imagine someone I've known my whole life and whom I see every time I go to my parents' home in Tchula not being there. "E" and "Unc" have always been a pair; I grew up next door to them and spent so many hours at their house over the years. Unc was a man who loved the Lord, and he showed it in the way he lived. I know we will see him again one day, but in the meantime, his absence is going to be so hard on everyone, especially my aunt E and their sons and grandchildren.
As I left Tchula this past Monday, the goodbyes were a lot weightier than usual. My grandmother Jan Jan, my daddy, my mama, my aunt E, my brother and his family -- so many people in my family whom I love, but whom I am not guaranteed to see again. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, but so many days I live my life as if this is my permanent home. Funerals and goodbyes are an ever present reminder that this world is passing away, and with God's grace, I have to treasure the days that He gives me while fixing my eyes on Jesus and the world to come.



3 comments:

  1. Love your hotel. And I love the red "special day" plate -- I grew up with one, and we have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! So excited to find you are "blogging". Sounds like y'all have had a fun month~ Red velvet is my favorite cupcake too!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I have been coming back and reading this post and looking at these pictures day after day after day for almost a week. It's time to put up some new ones! I need to hear what y'all have been up to! Maybe family camp? Just kidding. I can't imagine how busy y'all are!! Love y'all so much and miss you all!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete