O to grace how great a debtor, daily I'm constrained to be;
let that grace now, like a fetter, bind my wand'ring heart to thee.
Prone to wander -- Lord I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love:
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.
Robert Robinson, 1758

Monday, November 22, 2010

Cooler Weather and Outdoor Fun

One of my favorite aspects of fall is the draw to be outdoors enjoying the crisp temperatures and multitude of colors. Many days the kids are suggesting at the breakfast table where we can go walking or bike riding later in the day. The beauty of God's creation can be both a distraction and a motivation. It is hard to keep little eyes on books when there are hundreds of leaves falling in the backyard or a little chipmunk or squirrel scurrying around the patio or fence. Yet it is wonderful to send the kids out to burn off some of their restless energy without having to slather on sunscreen or bundle up coats.

Another fall favorite is breaking out the crock pot for some yummy soups, stews and chowders. I have always loved soup, but definitely not when it is hot outside. I always look forward to the first pot of the season!

I love these mugs. They are humongous, but they are so fun. I bought them when I worked at a gift shop in Natchez, MS, so they bring back some special memories.


Breathing in the aroma of corn chowder, one of my comfort foods!



                  

                      Sadly, our soccer season is over but here are some highlights of the last games.




Will and Conner Lutz reviewing their awesome plays.



Maggie getting ready for her game.


Just including this because of the ponytail! More pre-game warm-ups.



Getting the dregs of Nana's Diet Coke.







Maggie's a pretty tough goalie, but her team Blue Thunder ended up losing the game. This year was definitely one of those character-building seasons. Blue Thunder had a losing record going into the last game. The final game was played in the rain (unfortunately, I didn't make it because Will had a stomach virus), and through perseverance, Blue Thunder won the game. Maggie came home wet and cold but thrilled over the victory!


A special treat -- my parents came up for the soccer games and we had a late lunch at one of our favorite Memphis eateries -- Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana. 

Finally, to end with a laugh, one of the kids' new pastimes is to take crazy pictures on our computer. Some of them have us rolling! (But please note, some of these images may be disturbing to small children.)












These last few Meredith did this morning while I was in the shower. She's 4, and she already knows how to work the computer on her own!






1 comment: