O to grace how great a debtor, daily I'm constrained to be;
let that grace now, like a fetter, bind my wand'ring heart to thee.
Prone to wander -- Lord I feel it -- prone to leave the God I love:
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.
Robert Robinson, 1758

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Why I'm Kissing Social Media Goodbye


I know I have a very limited audience with this blog. I have not been faithful in posting since this is not a high priority for me, but I feel like I have to share something on my heart even if to a select handful of readers.
I recently took a “fast” from Facebook for most of the month of December, then soon after Christmas, I decided to take a more permanent one. My decision stems from a struggle I have with contentment among other things. Discontentment is an oft-overlooked sin which is fleshed out in the command “Do not covet.” The tenth commandment is probably for many people considered one of the “lesser” commandments (right down there with the 4th commandment on the Sabbath). It’s the commandment we least think about, but in reality it’s something most people, especially in western culture, struggle to follow. Although faced with it everywhere we turn, especially in the realm of advertising, social media, in my opinion, has only exponentially increased the struggle of contentment for many of us. Many people use the venue as a place to freely brag -- or feel connected and liked. If we happen to post something, then we have to continually check to see how many “likes” or “shares” or comments our post has gotten.
Galatians 1:10 states, “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” The major areas in which I struggle with contentment are being a wife and mother and the actions and attitudes of my husband and children. In my head, I know that I am a sinner, married to a sinner, and we have sinful children; however, when it comes to the ways in which these truths manifest themselves, I often get overwhelmed  and discouraged. Yes, Christ came to overcome sin and the world, and I have hope in Him. But the battle against sin is REAL in my own heart and the hearts of my husband and children. Christ calls me to “take every thought captive,” yet how am I to do that when I am thinking about how my life compares to that of others. 
The part of my life that I end up comparing the most is my children. My children are not perfect, and neither am I!  I am a fallen, redeemed sinner, and I should desire to be conformed to the image of Christ -- not the image of another mother or wife. Nor should I wish that my husband was like another man or my children were like other children, but that they should all, with me, be made more and more like our Savior! God has given me the exact perfect children to assist in performing His work of sanctification in me (and the perfect husband for that matter!). He chose me and Ryan to shepherd our three children, even though some of the traits are very difficult ones to parent. When it comes down to it, I would never want to trade our children for any other children (and at the worst of times no one would want to trade places with us!!). I am THANKFUL for these children!! I have sought the Lord more BECAUSE of our children! But these thoughts easily get drowned out if I am on Facebook (or Instagram, which I’m not) looking at countless pictures and posts about other parents’ seemingly amazing, darling, always-smiling children (even though this is not the reality of these parents!). I easily become discontent with the children God gave me! 
So why get off Facebook? In examining my heart, I realize the sin is in my heart, not in Facebook or social media. I need to repent of what is going on in my heart. Just getting off Facebook will not make this struggle disappear -- nor has it! However, as an analogy, an alcoholic should not purposely go to a bar just to “hang out.” We pray that the Lord would not lead us into temptation, so why walk into temptation and see if God is really going to deliver us? I am choosing not to enter an area in which I know I will be tempted to compare and become discontent. I have a Redeemer who gave His life to set me free from the sin of comparison and discontentment.
I guess in closing, I am not asking anyone to follow in my footsteps and kiss social media goodbye. If anyone were going to take anything from what I have said (if anyone even reads this!), I would say be careful what you post. Take the old adage, “Think before you speak,” and apply it to the area of social media.
If anyone wants to comment on this, call me or email me. I will not be checking for likes or comments.
However, when Tasti-Lee tomato season rolls around, I will be making the exception of using Facebook for business reasons only! So until then, enjoy these pictures of my happy, smiling blessings!

Ryan's fake 40 surprise balloons -- the ECS middle school teachers helped me pull off the biggest prank for his actual 39th birthday. We had a lot of fun, and Ryan even enjoyed all the attention and humor!


In Tchula -- I LOVE the Delta!!




Maggie's hunting expedition with Ryan. 

Visiting Coco in Tchula. Again I love the Delta sun!


Mommy and me ballet class

Sneaking in a game of golf the day after Christmas

Will headed to his first basketball game

Maggie's least favorite task in basketball -- getting the ball in on a full-court press
Meredith's special seat watching Will's basketball game.



And another Daddy surprise! Will has new clubs too!


Meredith's new golf clubs of her very own! Surprise gift from Daddy.
Merry Christmas!!







Gingerbread house 2013


Jan Jan with all the great-grandchildren

Our only snow so far -- enough to take pictures and throw a couple of snowballs



Happy to see the sun and enjoy a day of +50 temps!!

Babe is happy to be out again too!




Little out of order here -- back to the Thanksgiving hunting trip with Ryan

Will's favorite Christmas gift -- made with love by Mama



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart. Very well put and so true! Your kids haven't gotten so big. Beautiful family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Em ;o) I cannot tell you how much I miss you all....this has been a very strange year for Jerry and I. I appreciate your sentiments in your blog, and I feel certain you speak for many young mothers out there.....love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete